Chair, Accounting, Tenure-Track Faculty
MTSU seeks candidates committed to innovative teaching, robust research/creative activity, and meaningful service. We also seek to attract culturally and academically diverse faculty who value working with diverse students.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Job Summary/Basic Function
The Jennings A. Jones College of Business invites applicants for the chair position (#110005) of the Department of Accounting. Applicants must have a record of teaching, research, and service commensurate with appointment at the rank of associate or full professor. Expedited tenure upon appointment is possible. This is an in-person position, and Tennessee residency is required by the start date of August 1, 2024.
The successful candidate will have a distinguished record of scholarship or creative activity, service to the profession, dedication to quality instruction and effective mentorship, a commitment to student success initiatives, a collaborative leadership style, and the ability to inspire faculty, staff, and students. In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate the skills necessary to manage operational details while focusing on long-range plans to foster growth and maintain the excellence associated with the Department of Accounting.
The position, reporting directly to the Dean of the Jennings A. Jones College of Business will have the following responsibilities:
- Coordinating strategic planning in collaboration with the faculty and Dean.
- Leading the supplemental AACSB accreditation process and program assessment efforts for the Accounting BBA and MAcc programs.
- Managing curriculum development and innovations in collaboration with faculty members and external stakeholders.
- Providing effective leadership in recruiting, developing, and evaluating department faculty and staff members.
- Promoting and overseeing events in collaboration with faculty to facilitate student success.
- Overseeing allocation and deployment of personnel and financial resources for the department.
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with advisory board members, alumni, and other external supporters.
- Generating external funding sources in collaboration with the College Development Director.
- Teaching undergraduate or graduate courses as required.
- Continuing a program of successful scholarship and research.
- Contributing to the leadership of the College along with the Dean, Associate Deans, and other Department Chairs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
An AACSB-recognized terminal degree in accounting, such as an earned doctorate in accounting or a juris doctorate with an LLM in taxation, is required by the appointment date.
Applicants with the following will receive special consideration:
- Administrative experience as a director, department chair, etc., and those with human resource management and budget experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation or other accounting-related professional certifications.
- Experience in curriculum delivery or design.
Documents Needed to Apply
To successfully apply, applicants must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, statement of research or creative activities (as appropriate to the discipline), and a statement of leadership philosophy as separate attachments at the time of online application.
Special Instruction to Applicants
For more information about serving as a faculty member at Middle Tennessee State University, please visit our faculty recruitment webpage at https://mtsu.edu/facultyrecruitment/.
If you need help applying, please contact Mitzi Dunkley, Faculty Recruitment Specialist, at (615) 898-5128. If you have position-specific questions, please contact Tim Greer at Tim.Greer@mtsu.edu.
MTSU offers a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to the following:
Click here for additional information.
- Sick Leave
- Vacation Leave for Administrative/Classified Staff/12-month Faculty
- 13 paid University holidays
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Retirement plans
- Optional 401K and 403B Deferred Compensation Plans
- Educational benefits for the employee and their spouse and dependents
MTSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that values diversity in all its forms. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment is required before employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986). Clery Act crime statistics for MTSU are available at https://www.mtsu.edu/police/docs/2023AnnualSecurityReport.pdf or by contacting MTSU Public Safety at (615) 898-2424.
MTSU is a Tobacco & Drug-Free campus.
This position requires a criminal background check. Therefore, you must provide information about your criminal history to be considered.
For individuals requiring reasonable accommodation to apply: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position with MTSU, please call 615-898-2929 or email email@example.com.
Application Review Date: 01/12/2024